The Aadhaar number is a random 12-digit number which is issued by the UIDAI (“Authority”) to residents of India after following the verification process defined by the Authority. Anyone regardless of age and gender, who resides in India can volunteer to obtain the Aadhaar number. The person wishing to register only has to provide a minimum of demographic and biometric information during the registration process, which is completely free. A person only needs to log into Aadhaar once and after deduplication, because uniqueness is achieved through the demographic and biometric deduplication process.
The Aadhaar Law of 2016 stipulates that “each resident has the right to obtain an Aadhaar number by sending their demographic and biometric data when they undergo the registration process”.
The law also defines residence as: “A person who has been in India for a total of 182 days or more in the 12 months immediately preceding the date of the application for registration.”
The Aadhaar 2016 regulations (registration and update) contain the demographic and biometric information required during the Aadhaar registration process.
Demographic information required –
Date of Birth
Parent/Guardian details (required for minor)
Contact details phone and email (optional)
Biometric Information required –
1. Look for the nearest aadhaar enrolment center
Whether you are applying for the card for yourself or a family member, you must go to an Aadhaar registration center. Registration is free. You can register at a nearby registration center.
2. Visit the enrolment center with the documents
Once you have selected your registration center, you will need to visit the center with certain documents. Those are:
- Proof of identity documents: PAN card, passport, voter registration card, driving license, etc.
- Proof of address: water/electricity/gas bill, PAN card, passport, etc.
If you do not have a valid single document, a family property document containing your contact details (in this case, the head of the family must be registered with Aadhaar).
If you do not meet any of the above criteria, you can contact a moderator at the registration center designated by the registrar and have a valid Aadhaar number.
For a complete list of documents eligible for registration, see the list of supporting documents published by UIDAI.
3. Enrolling for the aadhaar card
- Fill the enrolment form available at the enrolment center with the personal details.
- Capture the demographic data: your name, date of birth, address and mobile number is mandatory.
- Biographic data: your photograph (only face), your fingerprints (all 10 fingers), and scan of your irises.
- For the application of aadhaar card of children under 5- parents/guardians name, aadhaar and biometrics.
- Aadhaar number with the competent authority in order to receive pension benefits. The measure also aims to combat the fraudulent practices of beneficiaries who request a pension.
How to download aadhaar card?
- Visit the official site of Aadhaar https://uidai.gov.in/
- Click the DOWNLOAD AADHAAR option
- Click the aadhaar option and select ‘I HAVE’
- Enter your 12 digit aadhaar number
- Enter Captcha verification code and click get OTP to get your one-time password on your registered mobile number
- Enter the OTP received
- Complete the survey shown on the screen and click on ‘VERIFY AND DOWNLOAD’.
- Open bank accounts instantly: It is not necessary to collect or run multiple identity proofs to obtain documentation. His humble Aadhaar card is proof of his identity and address.
- Scholarships: Students eligible for a government scholarship will be credited to the bank account activated by Aadhaar. The need to link Aadhaar to the bank account in order to receive scholarships is only implemented in certain selected Indian states.
- Monthly pension payment: For a practical and smooth transfer of the pension amount, the government required pensioners from certain countries to register their Aadhaar number with the competent authority in order to receive pension benefits. The measure also aims to combat the fraudulent practices of beneficiaries who request a pension.
- Provident fund payment: The government also asked employees to link their Aadhaar number to the Employee Pension Fund Organization (EPFO) to claim income.